Interview with pro-blogger Nellie Huang (Wild Junket)

So when my travel writing hero and chief editor of Wild Junket, Nellie Huang, visited Cape Town, I was stupid excited to meet her.  After all, she was one of the people who first inspired me to start blogging and reassured me that it is possible to travel the world and write about it- full-time. I'm not even sure she realises just how phenomenal her job is, but one thing is for sure; she puts in the hours and remains humble about her success and globetrotting lifestyle many can only dream about. 


Myself with Nellie at Buena Vista, Cape Town.

Over coffee and pizza in Greenmarket square, this is what the delightful Nellie had to say...

What does travel mean to you?
 Travel is a lifestyle and a way of life.  It's freedom, education and such a great way to learn about life and yourself.

When was your first trip?
My first trip was at the age of 17, when I went backpacking through Australia.  Coming from the concrete jungle of Singapore, it blew my mind.

Many people say travel is a form of escapism, do you think this is the case?
I'm not escaping from anything.  I'm a permanent traveller and love the nomadic lifestyle.  I get itchy feet quite easily, love changes and new happenings.  I'd ideally like to stay in a country for 3 months before moving on. 

What are some of your favourite cities?
Cape Town, Granada ( where I've been based for 2 years) and Seoul.

And favourite countries?
I'm crazy about wildlife so I love the Galapagos Islands and Madagascar.

What were some of your most memorable vacations?
Madagascar and South America, especially Ecuador.

Where will you next set up a base?
Thailand.

What advice would you give to wannabe travel bloggers?
Start out by writing to a group to a friends and then create a blog.  It should be a labour of love. There's a large debate about which is more important: content or marketing.  I would have to say content. It took me over a year to gather a large following and make money from it, but others have started to do it in shorter periods.

What are 3 things you won't travel without?
My Indiana Jones cap, camera and iPhone.

Cape Town highlights?
Paragliding off Lions head, Table Mountain and shark cage diving.

You can visit Nellie's Wildjunket here: http://www.wildjunket.com/